Figs! They’re sweet, succulent and used in so many ways in the cooking world. Whether fresh or dried, here are 5 benefits from adding a few of theses lil’ guys to your diet.
1. Figs are packed with all kinds of wonderful nutrients. One of them being soluble dietary fiber, which can aid with weight loss and a provide a more manageable digestive tract. Eat a few of these babies, and say goodbye to constipation.
2. In a paste form, figs have been used to treat acne and skin inflammation!
3. Got high blood pressure? Figs have been known for their ability to lower blood pressure because of their good source of potassium.
4. Studies show that the consumption of fig leaves can lower the amount of insulin needed by those with type 2 diabetes. Wow!
5. Are you lacking antioxidants? One study finds that eating 2 medium dried figs creates a significant increase in antioxidant activity in the body. Eat ‘em up, people!
Chop them up and put them in salads, on a whole grain cracker, in soups, desserts, and homemade dressings. Check out this awesome Skinny Figgy Bars recipe from vegan chef Susan Voisin!